A Natural and Simple Way to Deal with Spring Allergies
Spring is a sign of warmer weather. However, the warmer temperatures also bring along spring allergies. Plants, flowers, and trees are coming out of winter hibernation, by releasing pollen, causing allergy sufferers to experience hay fever, itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, and coughing.
What Causes Spring Allergies?
Flowering and cone-bearing plants release pollen into the air. Pollen contains tiny grains that are carried through the air and when inhaled, the body instantly detects the foreign object, causing our systems to go into a defence mode.
Antibodies attack the pollen-like substance which causes the body to release histamines which then trigger the body’s natural response to sneeze, get a runny nose, and experience watery eyes.
What are Spring Allergy Symptoms?
Spring allergy symptoms can be confused with symptoms of the common cold or a respiratory infection. It is important to understand the difference and get the correct treatment.
A common cold is accompanied by:
- Chills, fever, and an achy body
Symptoms of spring allergies are:
- Runny nose
- Itchy, watery eyes
- Post nasal drips
Ways to Avoid Spring Allergies from Getting Worse
There are many ways to help avoid spring allergies from consuming your whole life during the warmer weather:
1. Keep your Indoor air clean
- Make sure your indoor air is clean by using a HEPA filter in your bedroom or small enclosed areas
- Using a dehumidifier to keep the indoor air dry
- Regularly maintain your furnace and air conditioner to ensure they are running efficiently
2. Ensure to wash or clean items after every outdoor activity
- To avoid pollen particles or other allergy triggers from entering your home, wash your clothes, your skin, and your hair. Any surface where pollen can rest
- Avoid wearing your outdoor shoes around the house as they can carry allergens into your indoor space
- Regularly wash your bedding
3. Wear a mask that can help to avoid allergens from entering your airways
4. Eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables and drink a lot of water
5. Avoid morning workouts when pollen counts are at their peak
Natural Methods to Manage Spring Allergies
There are several natural ways to help manage spring allergies:
- Use a neti pot, filled with a saline solution, to help clear your nasal passage of any mucus built-up
- Acupuncture can help address any imbalances your body may be experiencing. It can also help calm any inflammatory flare-ups caused by an allergy reaction
- Herbal Therapy can also help relieve allergy symptoms
- Naturopathic medicine is an alternative to pharmaceutical
- Getting an allergy test also helps to identify specific allergens in order to find a natural way to manage reactions
Reach out to Simple Cures!
You don’t need to suffer from spring allergies. Let us help you enjoy spring! Contact a member of the Simple Cures team to see how we can help you naturally deal with your seasonal allergies. We offer services such as Acupuncture, Herbal remedy, allergy testing and Naturopathic medicine to provide relief from allergy season.